Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's Gonna Be Lookin' A Lot Like...




It's gonna be lookin' a lot like the holiday season here 'real soon' with predicted accumulation by morning;so, thought I'd share my Sheep Tree.(Click picture to enlarge in separate window.)

Sheep Tree stays up all year now on the gossip bench in the upstairs hallway.

It all started about 23 years ago when on a trip back East to visit family, I found a redware sheep (lower left on tree). Ever since, I grabbed up sheep ornaments anywhere I spied them, practically. A few have been given to me as gifts, like one big Suffolk from Sylvia when she visited the Shaker settlement in Kentucky. And Peta brought me Scottish sheep from Scotland. Dawn gave me the Santa bell with a sheep clanger for Christmas last year.

There's a ram as a tree topper from Mt. Rushmore and a blue spongeware one from Shipshewana, IN. The teal and terra cotta lamb was thrown by a New Mexico potter showing at Willcox' Apple Festival one year. One found at Fleet Farm in Wausaw, WI. Yes, there's even a sheep cookie cutter found in Kidron, OH.

There are more there...

I've had fun collecting these through the years and people remembering me in their travels...sometimes a card, sometimes yarn, sometimes an ornament, sometimes a stuffed sheep....

It's gonna be lookin' a lot like... Friendship.

5 comments:

Layl said...

I like the idea of something Christmas up all year long and do it too, altho not the pretty sheep tree you have w/bootiful yarn at the bottom. Trains are sure to have wool as cargo. Great lightening on pic to maximize the effect. very nice all around, nancy. Yarn Vixen

Nancy said...

Thanx! Actually, the lighting was just through the curtain, south window. It's fun to see my sheepies all year long!

Penny said...

How cool Nancy! What a great idea.

Nancy said...

Glad you like it!

yarn elf said...

I have seen cowboy, snow, angel, and other Christmas trees, but only one sheep tree. Like that, good to be able to see it year around and think of all the memories.